Thursday, June 4, 2015

Two beautiful churches and a little more

Woke up and had a breakfast of champions...my left over dessert crepe from last night...mmmm bananas and nutella 
We took the subway in and emerged at the Hotel De Ville (below)
The Hotel De Ville is not where Cruella lives, but it is where the city of Paris' government meets and works. Not a bad office in my opinon...step up your game Cincinnati (Cinci actually has a super beautiful City Hall, you should check it out if you didn't already know that!)

Just across the way we walked into Notre Dame. This church is an arcitectural masterpiece, in my opinion. It began construction in the 1160s and has been through a lot in those like 850 years from facelifts, to hunchbacks, to revolutions...I think our lady has seen it all...
Proof I was there
All three of the doors into the church are designed similarly and with great detail
Of course the picture does not do the rose windows justice. But stained glass is my favorite so have a look...




Beautiful...am I right? 

Later in the day (by the way the day has become absolutely perfect at about 82 degrees with no clouds in the sky, really jaw dropping) we went to the other most beautiful church in the city (I can't decide between the two of them don't ask me!!) Sacre Coure--Sacred Heart which is located on Montmarte...or the hill of the martyrs-- the story here, which is probably my favorite in all Christianity, is that Saint Denis (once he was beheaded) walked to this place and decided that it would be his final resting place. Yes, a dead, headless man carried himself and his head to this spot! And for the view...I don't blame him! Wish I did it first!

I took these pictures is progression of me walking up this hill. What you reading this are missing is how much pain my legs are in. 
Great shot...
Closer...
Closer...
Boom... ME!
Some of the inside (they didn't really seem to want pictures to be taken but shhhhh)
And...I love this picture...so many colors! No clouds! It makes the church stand out so much!
And afterwords, since we were in the area we had to just stop by the Moulin Rouge (great movie, check it out...note: it is not on European netflix :( )

Lastly, to end the day Raphael took me to this absolutely unbelieveable rooftop bar! I called it "For Parisians only!" because there is no way in hell anyone could ever find that without someone who has already been taken there. It was really a hole in a wall...that led to a roof. I took a crappy picture becasue I felt too much pressure by all of the cool vibes being emitted from everyone around us. It was a very relaxing end to a very busy day (even though we only walked eight miles instead of our usually 12 or 13).

No comments:

Post a Comment