Sunday, June 7, 2015

A day in two countries- ciao Paris..hola Spain

One of my posts deleted itself before I could post it :( now i have to think back and see if i can salvage any of my flying thoughts. 

It looks like I have some catching up to do on this blog post anyway. The past two days have been very Amanda full...meaning I better start talking to real people very soon.

Yesterday, my flight out of Paris into Valencia was at 8pm and after some planning and replanning with Raphael I ended up leaving his apartment just a little earlier than expected at 10am. Not sure what to do (I had planned on it being a slow travel day, anyway) I decided to make the best of the day! 

I took the metro to the bus station which would take me to the airport but I first took some (a lot) of time to walk around and see what there was to see. I found the infamous Cafe Oz from my last trip to Paris (although I heard it might be a chain, anyways, I chosing to believe it was the same one that my fellow PPP cohorts and I really bonded in). I stumbled across a Saturday morning market which had EVERYTHING meats, cheese, flowers, fruits, fish (too close to the fruits). I walked through and grabbed myself a croissant (finally). 



A few blocks from the bus station was a nice park for my to make myself home in for the next few hours. Note: I was also like right next to the catacombs of Paris--the line was unbelievably long all day!! (Catacombs are overrated in my open--if you want to be scared go to the graveyard I went to a few days ago.

Anyways, the park was beautiful- I sat on a bench in the shade and pulled myself together after what felt like a very long time in Paris. I'm still working on the post of all the things I learned...who knows when that will ever be done, I keep remembering things and wanting to edit them. ...so probably look forward to that when I'm in like, Berlin. 

I got to catch up on some reading and podcasts AND the park had wifi, so my spoiled self was able to video chat home and wake my dad up before he went to Saturday morning yoga (sorry mom, I know you were caught in that crossfire). And talk to some of my early riser friends. I made friends with a mouse who are the crumbs of my croissant 



Then on to the airport...which is becoming a common place for me, I hate to say it, because I don't really like flying. While I had just spent an entire day outside avoiding getting sunburnt, I believe sitting by the window in the airport finally did me in. UGH! sunscreen starts tomorrow (today)!

Then finally, Valencia. The plane landed...I'm in SPAIN! Call me crazy but I didn't really think it would actually happen, that I would actually make it to week three--horray!! I navigated the metro (easy) and a map (hard) and a nice Greek girl helped me find my hostel because she said that she had no idea what to do when she first got here a few months ago. THANK YOU KIND STRANGER!

The hostel is nice. I'm staying in an all girls room which is a great change of pace. I put my clothes away and then set off to find dinner (at 10:30 this wasn't too hard of a task, everyone was just getting ready to go out!). I went to a tapas place right by the hostel...I was a little too tired from my day of nothing to start exploring. 

However, I guess I was feeling adventurous, because for some reason, completely unknown to me, I decided to order prawns. I could not have picked a messier meal. They were served full body and I had to think about the best way to try and eat this without having the entire waitstaff staring at me and every customer leave. Thankfully, by the end of it, a waitress, who was not mine, brought me a wetnapkin. Sorry mom and dad...I am embarrrasing. But the prawns were great! Very fresh!! 
Not to mention the English menu they just brought me. Because some people just know. Look closely:



I went back to my room and talked a little to the two Belgian girls who were on vacation and then fell right asleep in a very hot and stuffy room (one girl felt that the windows should be closed...girl, no. ...I talked her into turning on the load fan though thank god) 


1 comment: