Friday, June 5, 2015

The bells of notre dame and some water lilies

Today is my last day here and I can and cannot believe it. I know basic directions but am still amazed at everything I see.  But part of me thinks this amazement will never go away. 
I wanted to do something I wasn't able to do last time I was here...climb Notre Dame. Which, if you know me, I love climbing shit...until the next day. So I stood in line and drank so much water because it was over 90 degrees and very very sunny. Just a little burnt I hope!

Here's a close up of the flying butresses, the arcitectural element that makes this building so famous...
This is the closest I think I have ever been and probably will ever be to gargoles so I took a few shots...I think they're pretty entertaining...
Bored...
Whattt....
No idea what this guys doing
and a close up of the tower
the corner
THE VERY TOP (I didn't know they let you go to the very top!! :O!) 
The rest of the Cathedral

AND THEN YOU CAN GO IN THE BELL TOWER (also something I didn't know would happen and I think a lot of people accidentally walk past it.)
Inside of bell tower..expert shot
the other bell

And then after a very long walk in the very very very very hot sun I walked past the Le Port Arts (where the locks used to be until they took them ALL down the day I came...sorry KG), the Louvre and through the Toulires and made it to L'Orangerie, the impressionist museum most well known for Claude Monet's Water Liles. After a quick lunch in the Museum Cafe (food at last!) I walked through the museum which had a special exhibition on Wildt--a sculptor famous around the early to mid 20th century I believe, with some scary real works. 
Then two full rooms of the water lilies all painted in Monet's old age and fighting arthritis. Absolutely amazing. I spent a solid hour in these two rooms because thats what you can do when you're alone.

Again, times when pictures do not do justice







1 comment:

  1. Amanda, these pictures are seriously such a treat...I can almost see Monet, old and arthritic, painting at those canvases, just doing what he loved. Looks like a lovely space to view them too. So glad you gave them the time they deserve :) good luck on the next leg!

    ReplyDelete