Thursday, June 18, 2015

(still don't really believe i'm in Greece tbh)

Alright- big day! Bought some deodorant and made it to the Athens school of business and economics (you can decide which one I'm more excited about). And we will all be happy to hear that it doesn't look like a decrypted bombed out hangout for young adults. Rather, this one is still in the "city" part of Athens, although I wouldn't call it down town. It's lively. Whereas the other one was wayyyy more residential (and terrifying?). There is still graffiti in and out of the buildings and its covered in more varied political flyers--but, all in all, I'm getting a much better vibe.  

The first guy I talked to, George, was more of a story teller and he was a little bit older so here goes that. George is half-British and half Greek, he was raised in London but has spent almost all of his adult life here. He said "whenever I get into the cab and the driver hears my accent he asks 'what are you doing here, you're crazy!'" -this is in response to the Greek economy he let me know. To which George responds back "you have a European id why don't you just go to London?" and the cab driver says "because its cold in London and this is where my family and friends are" and George says "I also hate the cold and all of my friends and family are here too!" and that's a cute story of Greeks wanting to hold on to their culture. The economy came up and George had a lot of opinions. He took a "whatever happens, happens" stance, there doesn't seem to be a lot of public support one way or another (and by public meaning that I can has easily see it on the streets). I read that 70% of a public opinion poll wants to stay in the EU but George thinks that most Greeks want to be independent but are just really nervous. Either way, the short term is going to be really bad. He talked about the bribery system and how it is a problem in politics, but everyone does it, no matter the occupation, its just that it leans more to favor the politicians. So if they changed the system now it would just continue to hurt the everyday people. 

The next guy I talked to was named Photus (I swear to god I'm not making that up but I probably spelled it very wrong). He was so happy to talk about how hopeful he was for the future and that our generation is really going to change things(!), but he admits he isn't very political. He wants to stick it out in the EU because "it can't get worse, we're already at the bottom!" so with that kind of spirit everyone should just keep moving forward. He thinks that Greece is just stuck right now and not moving forward on any fronts: socially or economically. When I asked why he thinks Greece should stay in the EU (which I realized after I asked was a super pointed and loaded question seeing as there is a meeting going on RIGHT NOW discussing it) and he said "because it feels safer" What about it feels safer? "I don't really know what, I guess there is just safety in numbers? being in a group is always better" I agreed.  I tried really hard to get some more info from him but he was just like "politics is boring" (No it's not Photus--it is the most unboring thing ever). Either way we had a really nice discussion and I like his optimism and general excitement for life. 

Okay John and Nik. Admittedly not my best job...but I don't think it was the most awkward experience of their lives so we can take it at that. John was sitting alone when I started talking to him and then his friend Nik joined in and we chatted about some things. They both spoke english but neither of them was very confident and thats what I think the biggest problem was (note: they are not the problem, I just didn't get too much information). Here are some snipits that I took away. John is glad that Greece is in the EU but can't explain to me why. Nik thinks that Spain and Greece are like the same because there is the same climate so the countries are similar. (It is interesting that out of the one thing I can pull from these guys they do sense a divide in the EU but also a sense of shared experiences with Spain. John likes the environment. Well done, Amanda! 

Well, you live and you learn.

-----
It's been amazing being a city where it all began. Today I stood on a rock that was apparently where Saint Paul gave his very first sermon. The first Olympic village.  I saw the ruins of the first democracies and where Socrates imprisonment was (probably). I watched a lightning storm blow in and could actually see individual lightning bolts and thought about life in this spot 3500 years ago and how it was thriving, but in such a different way from the way it is now. History is really cool guys.

But then, I was listening to the BBC report on how it had been 800 years since the Magna Carta had been signed and how that was truly the beginning of democracy and government. And I was like "what?--hey, hi, Greeks? Romans? Remember them?" and then the report proceeded to talk about how the Greek and Roman cultures and traditions don't really translate to the western world and western democracy. They ways of life are just too different! -_____- 

I'm not completely in support of this worldview, but I think it shows a subtle divide between Western Europe and Southern. How the West has just abandoned all of its roots views itself as entirely self-made.

Off to Macedonia tomorrow for my second home stay of the trip! So excited to see my friend, Ana, who I met last year while we were studying abroad together in Germany. She wants to show me what Skopje is really about and says we can go to her moms house! I'm very excited to see student life and real life in Mac and cannot believe that its actually almost time to go! Note: of all of the many many travelers that I've met and talked to, I haven't actually met anyone who has gone to Skopje. So I'm here to put it on the map!!  (Not that Ana hasn't already done that, but I'm planning on telling everyone everywhere how great it is!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment